Established in June, 2014, The Fred Sommer “Aces” Tennis Scholarship is a memorial scholarship designed to provide students ages 6-13 with the opportunity to learn and love the game of tennis. Fred Sommer was a longstanding member of the Aspen Hill Club who passed away after a courageous 3 year battle with brain cancer. The "ACES" program, with additional support from The Aspen Hill Club, enables children to participate in Aspen Hill's Junior Tennis Program. Twenty-five students from area schools and the local community were awarded scholarships to the Aspen Hill Junior Tennis Summer Camps since the program began.
These children reflect the qualities of Fred Sommer in that they:
- persevered in the face of challenges
- demonstrated strong character and ethical decision making
- worked hard and were committed to excellence
- exhibited good sportsmanship on and off the playing field
- maintained a positive attitude towards oneself and others